Wednesday, March 24, 2010

So Good Vegie Sandwich

The girls and I recently enjoyed lunch at a favorite downtown restaurant, The Olive Branch. I've never been a huge fan of sandwiches...they are usually too heavy on the meat and cheese and mayo for me. But the sandwich I ordered, The Wizard, was delicious (and healthy). Here is my rendition of it:

Spread a thin layer of cream cheese (I use whipped) on two slices of bread. (The bread is La Baguette's Six Grain Loaf chock full of yummy ingredients like oats, millet, sesame seed, flax seed, and sunflower seed.) Sprinkle both slices with garlic salt to taste. Place fresh spinach leaves, sliced zucchini, sliced avocado, sliced cherry tomatoes and alfalfa sprouts on one of the slices. Grind fresh pepper over and cover with the other slice. Of course, you could vary the bread and vegetables (a thin slice of red onion and/or black olives). I believe the restaurant used cucumbers instead of zucchini. And they added walnuts which were very good in this combo. Sweet, ripe blackberries were the perfect complement. Enjoy on a warm spring day (or not so warm!).

No comments: