Tuesday, August 18, 2009

easy stir fry

guess i'm on a food roll...enjoying cooking for my family and using fresh ingredients. here's a stir fry i make regularly...i use whatever vegies happen to be in the fridge (usually peppers, red, orange, yellow, green, zucchini, red onion or chives, broccoli, carrots, and always 1-2 cloves fresh garlic). sometimes we eat vegetarian, but usually with chicken. i'll put down my best estimate for amounts, though i rarely measure these days.


Chop chicken and all vegetables before stir frying. Cook some rice in a separate pot (I use either wild or brown). While the rice is cooking, start the stir fry.

2 cups skinless, boneless chicken tenderloins--chopped into bite size pieces
1-2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/2 medium red onion (you can also use chives)
Over high heat, in a wok or fairly large skillet, quickly stir and cook garlic, onion, and chicken.

Add about 1/4 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
2-3 T. low sodium soy sauce
2-3 T. red wine ( I use whatever I have around)

Add vegetables:
1-2 chopped carrots
1-2 chopped peppers (all colors)
1 cup chopped broccoli
1-2 zucchini sliced
Quickly stir and cook. Vegies should still be slightly crunchy when done.
Add 1 t. fresh herbs (I use basil and oregano). If dried, use about 1/2 T each.
Add 1 t. toasted sesame seeds.
Add the cooked and drained rice and stir well for 1-2 minutes. Serve with extra soy sauce if needed (we differ in my family about how much soy sauce to use, so I usually put in less and put the bottle on the table).

No comments: